Fidonet Portal

From: Barrk (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 15.03.21 00:44
Re: Taking a Stand in the War on General-Purpose Computing
XPost: alt.anonymous, comp.misc, alt.os.linux
XPost: talk.politics.misc

The only hope for General-Purpose Computing is to make
it somehow "cool". Otherwise there will soon be nothing
but Specialty computers, all produced/owned by the tech
giants, designed to only serve their purposes.

Yes, Pi's are OK, but they are too weak to compete
in the real-world. Besides, Google or somebody will
soon have a "better" platform for people to design
their next generation of delivery/spy drones ... 3rd/4th
gen place-n-play widgets (no, you won't know what's
in them) so any 9-year-old can contribute to the
corporate cause. There will be awards, shiny medals
and stuff, and the kiddies will be thrilled - even after
their spybots get Mom and Dad arrested for "sedition"
or whatever. The Google Youth will not be ashamed.

We seem to be on the verge of a really weird brave
new world, an unexpected synthesis of far-leftism
and tech-corporatism. Each will depend on the other
for their grip on power and profits. Worst of all, I am
not sure if there is anything to be DONE about it
short of plunging most of the world back into the
dark ages. That's a Devils Bargain for sure.

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Charlie Gibbs (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 15.03.21 20:41

On 2021-03-15, Barrk <Barrk@k9t8.net> wrote:

> The only hope for General-Purpose Computing is to make
> it somehow "cool". Otherwise there will soon be nothing
> but Specialty computers, all produced/owned by the tech
> giants, designed to only serve their purposes.

Unfortunately, J. Random Luser is easily hypnotized by
shiny things. I've heard this referred to as "trout
management": dangle something shiny with a hook in it
in front of them and they'll strike every time.

Recommended reading:

https://boingboing.net/2012/01/10/lockdown.html

The author, Cory Doctorow, has also written an incredible
novelette, _Unauthorized Bread_, one of four uncomfortably
dystopian stories collected under the name _Radicalized_.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | "Some of you may die,
\ / <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> | but it's a sacrifice

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Barrk (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Wed, 17.03.21 01:00

On 15 Mar 2021 20:41:33 GMT, Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>
wrote:

>On 2021-03-15, Barrk <Barrk@k9t8.net> wrote:
>
>> The only hope for General-Purpose Computing is to make
>> it somehow "cool". Otherwise there will soon be nothing
>> but Specialty computers, all produced/owned by the tech
>> giants, designed to only serve their purposes.
>
>Unfortunately, J. Random Luser is easily hypnotized by
>shiny things. I've heard this referred to as "trout
>management": dangle something shiny with a hook in it
>in front of them and they'll strike every time.
>
>Recommended reading:
>
>https://boingboing.net/2012/01/10/lockdown.html

Very very unfortunately, he's right about the trend.

(Near) Future-tech will not SERVE you, only EXPLOIT you.

And Joe Consumer will PAY to get fucked over.

Oooh !!! Shiny !

(50 points if you know where that last phrase came from Smile

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Deloptes (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Wed, 17.03.21 08:50

Barrk wrote:

> On 15 Mar 2021 20:41:33 GMT, Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>On 2021-03-15, Barrk <Barrk@k9t8.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The only hope for General-Purpose Computing is to make
>>> it somehow "cool". Otherwise there will soon be nothing
>>> but Specialty computers, all produced/owned by the tech
>>> giants, designed to only serve their purposes.
>>
>>Unfortunately, J. Random Luser is easily hypnotized by
>>shiny things. I've heard this referred to as "trout
>>management": dangle something shiny with a hook in it
>>in front of them and they'll strike every time.
>>
>>Recommended reading:
>>
>>https://boingboing.net/2012/01/10/lockdown.html
>
> Very very unfortunately, he's right about the trend.
>
> (Near) Future-tech will not SERVE you, only EXPLOIT you.
>
> And Joe Consumer will PAY to get fucked over.
>
> Oooh !!! Shiny !
>
> (50 points if you know where that last phrase came from Smile

It is like 50-60 years disenlightment - what do you expect.
From personal experience with people Enlightment is very sophisticated
process and must start early in someones life and must have the specific
social context to work.
If everybody is in youtube and facebook you can not explain easily why it is
not good to the avg. Joe.
It starts in the family, in the kindergarden, in school and then it is
almost already too late.
You can imagine how many generations were lost in these 50-60y and most
important what damage was done to all of the humanity.
I see idiocracy multiply and intelligence disappear. Very unfortunate!

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Charlie Gibbs (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Wed, 17.03.21 16:02

On 2021-03-17, Barrk <Barrk@k9t8.net> wrote:

> On 15 Mar 2021 20:41:33 GMT, Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2021-03-15, Barrk <Barrk@k9t8.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The only hope for General-Purpose Computing is to make
>>> it somehow "cool". Otherwise there will soon be nothing
>>> but Specialty computers, all produced/owned by the tech
>>> giants, designed to only serve their purposes.
>>
>> Unfortunately, J. Random Luser is easily hypnotized by
>> shiny things. I've heard this referred to as "trout
>> management": dangle something shiny with a hook in it
>> in front of them and they'll strike every time.
>>
>> Recommended reading:
>>
>> https://boingboing.net/2012/01/10/lockdown.html
>
> Very very unfortunately, he's right about the trend.
>
> (Near) Future-tech will not SERVE you, only EXPLOIT you.
>
> And Joe Consumer will PAY to get fucked over.

Leonard: Oh, screw the roommate agreement.

Sheldon: No! You don't screw the roommate agreement.
The roommate agreement screws _you_!

> Oooh !!! Shiny !
>
> (50 points if you know where that last phrase came from Smile

I don't know, but I use it a lot.

"I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is futile.
You will be... mmmm, donut!"

From: Byker (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Wed, 17.03.21 15:49

"Barrk" wrote in message news:40335glus6bsnn2rqe81fi8bc8sevso883@4ax.com...

> On 15 Mar 2021 20:41:33 GMT, Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>
> wrote:
>>
>>Recommended reading:
>>
>>https://boingboing.net/2012/01/10/lockdown.html
>
> Very very unfortunately, he's right about the trend.
>
> (Near) Future-tech will not SERVE you, only EXPLOIT you.

Elon Musk's warning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIHhl6HLgp0

Last chance, people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Osn1gMNtw

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Byker (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Wed, 17.03.21 15:50

"Deloptes" wrote in message news:s2sccn$h6e$1@dont-email.me...

> It is like 50-60 years disenlightment - what do you expect.
> From personal experience with people Enlightment is very sophisticated
> process and must start early in someones life and must have the specific
> social context to work.
> If everybody is in youtube and facebook you can not explain easily why it
> is not good to the avg. Joe.
> It starts in the family, in the kindergarden, in school and then it is
> almost already too late.
> You can imagine how many generations were lost in these 50-60y and most
> important what damage was done to all of the humanity.
> I see idiocracy multiply and intelligence disappear. Very unfortunate!

"Idiocracy" (2006) is already alive and well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP2tUW0HDHA

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Charlie Gibbs (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Wed, 17.03.21 22:19

On 2021-03-17, Byker <byker@do~rag.net> wrote:

> "Barrk" wrote in message news:40335glus6bsnn2rqe81fi8bc8sevso883@4ax.com...
>
>> On 15 Mar 2021 20:41:33 GMT, Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Recommended reading:
>>>
>>> https://boingboing.net/2012/01/10/lockdown.html
>>
>> Very very unfortunately, he's right about the trend.
>>
>> (Near) Future-tech will not SERVE you, only EXPLOIT you.
>
> Elon Musk's warning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIHhl6HLgp0
>
> Last chance, people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Osn1gMNtw

Don't worry, buy a Tesla. It will take care of you.

From: Deloptes (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Thu, 18.03.21 03:26

Byker wrote:

> "Idiocracy" (2006) is already alive and well:

it is slowly turning into "the new normal", however there were moments in
history that it was not the case

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Mayayana (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Thu, 18.03.21 09:35
Re: Taking a Stand in the War on General-Purpose Computing
XPost: alt.anonymous, comp.misc, alt.os.linux
XPost: talk.politics.misc

"Charlie Gibbs" <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote

| > The only hope for General-Purpose Computing is to make
| > it somehow "cool". Otherwise there will soon be nothing
| > but Specialty computers, all produced/owned by the tech
| > giants, designed to only serve their purposes.
|
| Unfortunately, J. Random Luser is easily hypnotized by
| shiny things. I've heard this referred to as "trout
| management": dangle something shiny with a hook in it
| in front of them and they'll strike every time.

It's easy to express contempt for non-tech people,
but it's mainly the techies who are hypnotized by video
games. They're mainly the people who got suckered into
"invitations" to gmail. They're the ones pushing the
switch to Chrome, using their phones to pay for things,
supporting unregulated exploitation of workers through
Uber and Lyft, shopping via Amazon, buying crap food
in unrecycled containers via GrubHub or DoorDash...
You might not be a Facebookie, but if you live by your
phone then you're exploited by either Google or Apple...
plus dataminers. And you're cultivating a lifestyle
mediated by middlemen.

Why? Because tech hipsters thought it was "cool".
Lately there's talk of a COVID vaccine cert that will
require a cellphone. Why do we now just assume that
life happens on a cellphone? Instead of selling everyone
a PC, how about putting down your phone.

There's no reason the general public needs to want
to do programming, video editing, or other things done
on computers. What they need is privacy law. It's just
like everything else. You don't get safe food by teaching
nutrition or safe cars by turning everyone into a mechanic.
You get there with regulation, so that everyone doesn't
need to be an expert.

On the bright side, Europe has been more advanced than
the US on that score, and Biden seems to be hiring people
who want to break up the tech monopolies. We might get
there. In the meantime, do you watch junk TV? Do you
eat fast food or junk food, or drink sodas? Have you
been suickered into buying designer water? Do you play video
games while being over 16 years old? If so then look in the
mirror to see your trout. There's no super-mind plotting
control over you. There are just confused, power-hungry,
driven people like Bezos and Gates and Jobs and Cook and
Schmidt. And there are their markets. Same thing. You
should regard it as a warning sign when you decide that
somehow you're the only person who thinks for themselves.

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Ahem A Rivet's Shot (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Thu, 18.03.21 08:07
Re: Taking a Stand in the War on General-Purpose Computing
XPost: alt.anonymous, comp.misc, alt.os.linux
XPost: talk.politics.misc

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 01:00:48 -0400
Barrk <Barrk@k9t8.net> wrote:

> (Near) Future-tech will not SERVE you, only EXPLOIT you.

It is amazing how many people seem to think this is a new fear, it
is far from being so - and it has never been true and won't be until *this*
fear becomes true "As machines become more intelligent it will first become
possible and then necessary to bribe them".

Right now and for all of history to date the exploitation of people
has been done by *people*, technology is simply another tool in the box of
those who like to exploit and control and it is one that serves *them* very
well. However technology is a *tool* and like all tools the result of using
it depends on the intent and skill of the user and not the nature of the
tool. For example you could use nuclear explosives to sculpt artwork onto
dead planetoids or you could use them to threaten nations and influence
policies.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\>WIN | A better way to focus the sun

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Charlie Gibbs (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Thu, 18.03.21 19:33

On 2021-03-18, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 01:00:48 -0400
> Barrk <Barrk@k9t8.net> wrote:
>
>> (Near) Future-tech will not SERVE you, only EXPLOIT you.
>
> It is amazing how many people seem to think this is a new fear, it
> is far from being so - and it has never been true and won't be until *this*
> fear becomes true "As machines become more intelligent it will first become
> possible and then necessary to bribe them".
>
> Right now and for all of history to date the exploitation of people
> has been done by *people*, technology is simply another tool in the box of
> those who like to exploit and control and it is one that serves *them* very
> well. However technology is a *tool* and like all tools the result of using
> it depends on the intent and skill of the user and not the nature of the
> tool. For example you could use nuclear explosives to sculpt artwork onto
> dead planetoids or you could use them to threaten nations and influence
> policies.

Well said! Using the word "technology" instead of a more appropriate
phrase like "the lords of technology" is one more example of convenience
trumping accuracy.

A power so great it can only be used for good or evil!
-- Firesign Theatre

From: Charlie Gibbs (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Thu, 18.03.21 19:33

On 2021-03-18, Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> "Charlie Gibbs" <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote
>
>>> The only hope for General-Purpose Computing is to make
>>> it somehow "cool". Otherwise there will soon be nothing
>>> but Specialty computers, all produced/owned by the tech
>>> giants, designed to only serve their purposes.
>>
>> Unfortunately, J. Random Luser is easily hypnotized by
>> shiny things. I've heard this referred to as "trout
>> management": dangle something shiny with a hook in it
>> in front of them and they'll strike every time.
>
> It's easy to express contempt for non-tech people,
> but it's mainly the techies who are hypnotized by video
> games. They're mainly the people who got suckered into
> "invitations" to gmail. They're the ones pushing the
> switch to Chrome, using their phones to pay for things,
> supporting unregulated exploitation of workers through
> Uber and Lyft, shopping via Amazon, buying crap food
> in unrecycled containers via GrubHub or DoorDash...

I do none of these things, yet I consider myself a techie.
Perhaps we should replace "techies" with a more appropriate
word, like "technophiles". There are lots of techies who
are not hypnotized.

> You might not be a Facebookie, but if you live by your
> phone then you're exploited by either Google or Apple...
> plus dataminers. And you're cultivating a lifestyle
> mediated by middlemen.

Hear, hear.

> Why? Because tech hipsters thought it was "cool".
> Lately there's talk of a COVID vaccine cert that will
> require a cellphone. Why do we now just assume that
> life happens on a cellphone? Instead of selling everyone
> a PC, how about putting down your phone.

From time to time, the term "digital divide" comes up.
Some people are pushing to widen this divide (often while
shedding crocodile tears about discrimination), because
they are personally benefiting from it.

<snip>

> Do you play video games while being over 16 years old?

I do fire up Portal from time to time - but only as a
diversion (one of many), not to validate my existence.

> If so then look in the mirror to see your trout. There's
> no super-mind plotting control over you. There are just
> confused, power-hungry, driven people like Bezos and Gates
> and Jobs and Cook and Schmidt.

I wouldn't apply the word "confused" to these people.
They know exactly what they're doing, and their plotting
is more like China's long-term plans for conquest than
your typical company's obsession with quarterly dividends.

From: Deloptes (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Thu, 18.03.21 20:43

Mayayana wrote:

> "Charlie Gibbs" <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote
>
> | > The only hope for General-Purpose Computing is to make
> | > it somehow "cool". Otherwise there will soon be nothing
> | > but Specialty computers, all produced/owned by the tech
> | > giants, designed to only serve their purposes.
> |
> | Unfortunately, J. Random Luser is easily hypnotized by
> | shiny things. I've heard this referred to as "trout
> | management": dangle something shiny with a hook in it
> | in front of them and they'll strike every time.
>
> It's easy to express contempt for non-tech people,
> but it's mainly the techies who are hypnotized by video
> games. They're mainly the people who got suckered into
> "invitations" to gmail. They're the ones pushing the
> switch to Chrome, using their phones to pay for things,
> supporting unregulated exploitation of workers through
> Uber and Lyft, shopping via Amazon, buying crap food
> in unrecycled containers via GrubHub or DoorDash...
> You might not be a Facebookie, but if you live by your
> phone then you're exploited by either Google or Apple...
> plus dataminers. And you're cultivating a lifestyle
> mediated by middlemen.

You are speaking from my heart, respect!

> Why? Because tech hipsters thought it was "cool".
> Lately there's talk of a COVID vaccine cert that will
> require a cellphone. Why do we now just assume that
> life happens on a cellphone? Instead of selling everyone
> a PC, how about putting down your phone.

applause!

> There's no reason the general public needs to want
> to do programming, video editing, or other things done
> on computers. What they need is privacy law. It's just
> like everything else. You don't get safe food by teaching
> nutrition or safe cars by turning everyone into a mechanic.
> You get there with regulation, so that everyone doesn't
> need to be an expert.
>
> On the bright side, Europe has been more advanced than
> the US on that score, and Biden seems to be hiring people
> who want to break up the tech monopolies. We might get

Not sure if you are right here.

> there. In the meantime, do you watch junk TV? Do you
> eat fast food or junk food, or drink sodas? Have you
> been suickered into buying designer water? Do you play video
> games while being over 16 years old? If so then look in the
> mirror to see your trout. There's no super-mind plotting
> control over you. There are just confused, power-hungry,
> driven people like Bezos and Gates and Jobs and Cook and
> Schmidt. And there are their markets. Same thing. You
> should regard it as a warning sign when you decide that
> somehow you're the only person who thinks for themselves.

As I can answer all these questions with, NO, I thank you that you make me
feel I am not the only one on this planet, who experience the same.

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Deloptes (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Thu, 18.03.21 20:46

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

> It is amazing how many people seem to think this is a new fear, it
> is far from being so - and it has never been true and won't be until
> *this* fear becomes true "As machines become more intelligent it will
> first become possible and then necessary to bribe them".
>
> Right now and for all of history to date the exploitation of people
> has been done by *people*, technology is simply another tool in the box of
> those who like to exploit and control and it is one that serves *them*
> very well. However technology is a *tool* and like all tools the result of
> using it depends on the intent and skill of the user and not the nature of
> the tool. For example you could use nuclear explosives to sculpt artwork
> onto dead planetoids or you could use them to threaten nations and
> influence policies.

This does not contradict Mayayanas propositions. It completes them.

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Byker (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Thu, 18.03.21 15:11

Barrk <Barrk@k9t8.net> wrote:

>> (Near) Future-tech will not SERVE you, only EXPLOIT you.
>
> It is amazing how many people seem to think this is a new fear, it is far
> from being so - and it has never been true and won't be until *this* fear
> becomes true "As machines become more intelligent it will first become
> possible and then necessary to bribe them".

Millennials and their offspring are throwing away their futures by venting
their Leftist spleens on Facebook and Twitter ("The Internet Ruined My
Life," etc.Wink. Anything they post on the Web might as well be carved in
stone. Although I don't like talking heads, this old boy has some good
points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eHKkxcQYU4

Clueless Millennials and GenZ have no idea of what's coming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WnLR3CESeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxPyaBhPWAQ

Most post-Baby Boomers haven't a clue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tn4P7IBqoQ

Alt-Left, Antifa, and their supporters/sympathizers have forfeited their
futures as their names, faces, and family information are gathered and
stored in Deep State computers, listing them as "subversive", and
"unpatriotic". Years from now they'll be wondering why they're not being
accepted at big-name, high-dollar universities despite 4.0 GPAs, or why the
only jobs they can find are dead-end, minimum-wage service jobs, or why
relatives are suddenly getting their security clearances revoked. All their
anti-America, pro-socialism Facebook and YouTube posts will be coming back
to bite them ten, twenty, or forty years from now.

America can't survive these imbeciles -- So sad to see America be destroyed
by the stupid: http://tinyurl.com/p9hs53z
http://fortune.com/2015/03/10/american-millennials-are-among-the-worlds-least-sk
illed/

What's YOUR social credit score? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP321Miy7zQ

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Richard Falken (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Thu, 18.03.21 18:19
Re: Taking a Stand in the War on General-Purpose Computing
Re: Re: Taking a Stand in the War on General-Purpose Computing
By: Mayayana to Charlie Gibbs on Thu Mar 18 2021 09:35 am

> On the bright side, Europe has been more advanced than
> the US on that score, and Biden seems to be hiring people
> who want to break up the tech monopolies. We might get
> there. In the meantime, do you watch junk TV? Do you
> eat fast food or junk food, or drink sodas? Have you
> been suickered into buying designer water? Do you play video
> games while being over 16 years old? If so then look in the
> mirror to see your trout. There's no super-mind plotting
> control over you. There are just confused, power-hungry,
> driven people like Bezos and Gates and Jobs and Cook and
> Schmidt. And there are their markets. Same thing. You
> should regard it as a warning sign when you decide that
> somehow you're the only person who thinks for themselves.

I am older than 16 years old, I happen to play games occasionally, and I don't
really get what is the problem I should be finding in the mirror. I suppose the
copy of Rogue I just compiled for OpenBSD is doing a hell of a lot of data
mining?

By the way, if you have a car, you are usually expected to know how to use it,
including basic maintenance. It is a mistake to think you need to be an expert
in a field to wade that field somewhat safely. You need to know _enough_, and I
don't think this criteria is bypassable via law enforcing. Making cars safe by
law only goes so far: if you put an idiot behind the steering wheel, he will
cause trouble.

Sticking to IT: spamming, phishing and scamming is illegal, yet we still get
tons of it. How do we defeat it? Teaching people how to deal with it.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Deloptes (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Fri, 19.03.21 01:33
Richard Falken wrote:

> I am older than 16 years old, I happen to play games occasionally, and I
> don't really get what is the problem I should be finding in the mirror.

I think the word you are looking for is infantile adj.
I play with our children for example or I play guitar (but there is no much
time you know)
Raise children and grow up (this is live all about).

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Mayayana (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Thu, 18.03.21 22:55

"Richard Falken" <nospam.Richard.Falken@f1.n770.z7314.fidonet.org> wrote

| By the way, if you have a car, you are usually expected to know how to use
it,
| including basic maintenance.

No. Only in your role as consumer. No one is expected
to understand car mechanics. Nor is a home owner expected
to understand home repair. The idea is that you should be
able to buy a car without it being faulty. You should be able
to buy food that's not tainted... A toaster that's not at risk
of catching on fire. Those regulations are mostly fairly
recent. Building codes and food quality standards are relatively
recent. We need the same for computing and digital data
generally. No one should have to understand HTML, script,
cookies, and so on to just load a webpage and have a reasonable
expectation that Google isn't spying on them. The Internet
was actually designed for that. Cookies were designed to be
only first party. Script was intended only to provide some
degree of interactive ability.

As it is now, the spying and the usurping of private rights
is mostly invisible. People don't understand Google's spying.
They don't understand Microsoft has stolen their car and
parked a taxi in their driveway. They don't understand their
phone is a tracking collar infested with datamining apps.
There's no excuse for not regulating these things.

You're never going to teach every computer and phone
user how to handle spam and phishing. Most people I know
turn on their computer, cross their fingers, do what they
need to, then turn it off. Awhile back I was trying to help
a woman who complained about an error message. "What
did the message say?" "I don't know. I just click buttons
until I find one it likes." And why not? How is anyone supposed
to make sense of messages talking about "writing to illegal
memory" or "outdated encryption" errors? The fault there is with
the software developer, not the enduser.

We could easily pass basic laws:

* If you buy software you get full copyright rights, just
as with a book, which means you can do anything with it
except make copies. And the author can't sneak into your
house to change the software or disable it. And they can't
force you to rent the software.

* If you visit a webpage, that site has no right to sell your
data to outsiders without your permission.

* Apps have no right to ask for data access they don't need
to function. And they have no right to call home.

* Your TV has no right to spy on you, whether it's Comcast
or Samsung doing it.

Those are all common sense and common decency. The only
reason they're not illegal is because the crime is frictionless and
invisible, and the operation of it is not widely understood. Even
the US Congress seems to have few people capable of
understanding the stakes. If you think the problem is lack of
public education then you're living in your own private Idaho.

You can pretend that's reality in Linuxville and protest that
people should be able to compile software if they want to
use it. But in that case you'll be talking to yourself. And you
won't popularize general computing. How do
you suppose all those partially socialized geeks in Linuxville
are still alive when they don't even know how to feed themselves?
Because the FDA regulates what's allowed to go into Pepsi
and candy bars. We have basic, civilized laws that say you
can't make a candy bar out of plaster of paris or make Pepsi
with DDT and motor oil. No one needs to understand nutrition
in order to survive reasonably well despite drinking soda. They
can write code all day, play video games all night, and never
even learn how to pilot a human body. Because regulation
protects them.

You may be able to fix your car, house and dinner. I don't
know. But I'm sure there are things in life that you depend on
without understanding how they work. And your confidence
using those things probably depends on regulation.

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)

From: Deloptes (2:221/1.10)
To: All
Date: Fri, 19.03.21 08:38

Mayayana wrote:

> You may be able to fix your car, house and dinner. I don't
> know. But I'm sure there are things in life that you depend on
> without understanding how they work. And your confidence
> using those things probably depends on regulation.

The absurdity of this all is the "precedence" in the US law. So you can make
and sell a toy or airplane that would fail. People would die and only after
this they will regulate.
I am not for regulations, but as you point out in many cases they are
required, so that our lives are endangered.
Recently the EU introduced a low "the right to repair". I doubt that it will
have effect, because even if I knew how to repair my broken car,
manufactures make special tools that are so expensive that only the car
repair shop can afford. Some tools are available only for licensed shops.
This is pure pornography

---
* Origin: rbb soupgate, the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/1.10)