Fidonet Portal

From: August Abolins (1:396/45.29)
To: All
Date: Mon, 22.02.21 20:45
7 minutes of terror
>==================================================================<
** Original area : "/FIDO/CHAT"
** Original message from : August Abolins@1:153/757.21
** Original message to : Wilfred van Velzen
** Original date/time : 22 Feb 21, 19:38

** On Monday 22.02.21 - 21:52, Wilfred wrote:

WvV> Here's the vid:

WvV> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czjS9h4Fpg

WvV> Impressive!

I started downloading one of the recorded live streams (approx 2
hrs).. then changed my mind when the audio and view streams
didn't merge with youtube-dl. Sad But the above file was all
that was needed.

It seemed like an exciting 3 minute ride.

I'm surprised that the module (before chute deployment) doesn't
start tumbling and turning during the fastest approach.

Then, after the chute deployed, you could see a bit of a
swinging motion.

The images were fantastic. The very last few seconds looked
precarious when all the soil started to block the cameras
though.

--
../|ug

-+- OpenXP 5.0.49
+ Origin: Mobile? Join CHAT here: https://tinyurl.com/y5k7tsla (1:153/757.21)

--- OpenXP 5.0.49
* Origin: (1:396/45.29)

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464)
To: All
Date: Tue, 23.02.21 09:47
Re: 7 minutes of terror
* Originally in CHAT
* Crossposted in ASTRONOMY

Hi August,

On 2021-02-22 19:38:00, you wrote to me:

WvV>> Here's the vid:

WvV>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czjS9h4Fpg

WvV>> Impressive!

AA> I started downloading one of the recorded live streams (approx 2
AA> hrs).. then changed my mind when the audio and view streams
AA> didn't merge with youtube-dl. Sad But the above file was all
AA> that was needed.

AA> It seemed like an exciting 3 minute ride.

AA> I'm surprised that the module (before chute deployment) doesn't
AA> start tumbling and turning during the fastest approach.

The heatshield shape is designed in such a way that it doesn't. They have
experience with that since before the apollo program! ;)

AA> Then, after the chute deployed, you could see a bit of a
AA> swinging motion.

AA> The images were fantastic. The very last few seconds looked
AA> precarious when all the soil started to block the cameras
AA> though.

That's how you know it's real! ;)

Bye, Wilfred.

--- FMail-lnx64 2.1.0.18-B20170815
* Origin: FMail development HQ (2:280/464)

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464)
To: All
Date: Wed, 24.02.21 18:35
Re: 7 minutes of terror
Hi August,

On 2021-02-23 23:05:00, you wrote to me:

WvV>> The heatshield shape is designed in such a way that it
WvV>> doesn't. They have experience with that since before the
WvV>> apollo program! ;)

AA> OK.. but considering the turmoil those capsules encounter upon
AA> reentry to Earth's atmosphere (which is thicker than Mar's) I am
AA> still surprised that something doesn't cause them to tip the
AA> wrong way and tumbling ensues.

Apparently the engineers know what they are doing. And they probably did al lot
of testing in the past. ;)

AA> I wish we could have seen about 2 or 3 minutes more right after
AA> the landing as the dust cloud settles. Then it would seem more
AA> real to me.

There were also some interuptions in the video. I wish they would publish the
whole thing uninterrupted from all camera's.

AA> But the choreography of events one after another and hoping that
AA> there would be no malfunctions.. that's stressful.

AA> I was reading a bit on past missions to Mars, and on one of them
AA> a simple misundersting in the use of meteric vs british
AA> measuring system caused the mission to fail.

That's a "famous" case... ;)

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464)
To: All
Date: Thu, 25.02.21 09:42
Re: 7 minutes of terror
Hi August,

On 2021-02-24 19:45:00, you wrote to me:

AA>>> I wish we could have seen about 2 or 3 minutes more right
AA>>> after the landing as the dust cloud settles. Then it would
AA>>> seem more real to me.

WvV>> There were also some interuptions in the video. I wish
WvV>> they would publish the whole thing uninterrupted from all
WvV>> camera's.

AA> There was? I thought the footage from chute deployment to
AA> landing was contiguous and unedited.

I think I noticed 1 or 2 skips in time (or so I thought). But I'll have to
watch it again, to be sure... And it certainly wasn't uneditted, because there
was at least one switch from the upwards looking camera (showing the paracute),
to the downwards looking camera (showing approaching mars, the falling heat
shield, and the lander).

From: George Pope (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Wed, 11.08.21 13:02
Re: 7 minutes of terror
Not sure I get the "7 minutes of terror" title -- I thought "7 minutes of
terror" was the brand name of the first pregnancy test that gave results in
under 30 minutes.. . Smile

> WvV> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czjS9h4Fpg

> I'm surprised that the module (before chute deployment) doesn't
> start tumbling and turning during the fastest approach.

Possibly corrected by computer & combined/rendered as a single smooth video?

> The images were fantastic. The very last few seconds looked
> precarious when all the soil started to block the cameras

A very enjoyable view!

Getting to be old news, though. .

Oh, we landed another ship on an alien planet. . ho hum. . .

What's on TV? Very Happy J/King I'm no fan of TV. . .

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux