Fidonet Portal

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Thu, 18.02.21 02:57
Perseverance rover to land on Mars tomorrow!
Re: Perseverance rover to land on Mars tomorrow!
By: Sonya Weasner to All on Thu Feb 18 2021 05:35 pm

SW> The Perseverance rover will be landing on Mars tomorrow at 11:15 PST! This
SW> is super exciting! Does anyone plan to watch the landing live?

I plan to watch if I can catch it.

SW> One thing I think that is really neat is that there is a helicopter
SW> strapped to the belly of the rover. That helicopter, Ingenuity, will
SW> attempt the first powered flight on Mars (or any other planet!Wink. Basically
SW> the Wright Brothers flight attempt but on the red planet! You can see a
SW> cool simulation of that here: https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter

That'll be interesting. I don't know how much atmosphere there is on Mars, 1%
of Earth's (maybe) so that helicopter has to be small and light, yet the
propellers have to spin very fast. We'll see how it goes.. Smile

Ttyl Smile,
Al

... Never mind the Titanic - is there any news of the iceberg?
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux

From: Sonya Weasner (3:770/100)
To: All
Date: Sun, 21.02.21 21:17
re: Perseverance rover to land on Mars tomorrow!
AI> AA> SO.. was the landing captured well? One of the pics post-
AI> AA> landing is just black and white. Isn't this multi-billion $
AI> AA> rover equipped with a colour cameras?
AI>
AI> I haven't had a look yet. I saw a headline that the landing was
AI> successful but haven't had a look yet.

I believe it takes time for the pics and videos to process from Mars. So far
there are a couple of photos taken from the rover. The first was black and
white but that was just an engineering low-quality cam. It has a 4K camera
or something I believe to capture high-res stuff. They have since released a
few more photos, as well as a photo of the descent on Mars. There should be
a video of the entire landing soon - it just takes a while for it to arrive
from Mars (or so I have read). Fingers crossed we see some higher quality
images and videos soon!!

Sonya (l0nepinemall)

* Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (3:770/100)

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Sun, 21.02.21 05:08
re: Perseverance rover to land on Mars tomorrow!
Re: re: Perseverance rover to land on Mars tomorrow!
By: Sonya Weasner to Alan Ianson on Sun Feb 21 2021 09:17 pm

SW> I believe it takes time for the pics and videos to process from Mars. So
SW> far there are a couple of photos taken from the rover. The first was black
SW> and white but that was just an engineering low-quality cam. It has a 4K
SW> camera or something I believe to capture high-res stuff. They have since
SW> released a few more photos, as well as a photo of the descent on Mars.
SW> There should be a video of the entire landing soon - it just takes a while
SW> for it to arrive from Mars (or so I have read). Fingers crossed we see
SW> some higher quality images and videos soon!!

I imagine it does take time for that info to get back here from Mars and all we
have seen so far is the start.

I still haven't had time to check out these things. Just too many things
ticking away at my time but I'm going to check it all out soonish.

Ttyl Smile,
Al

... A seminar on Time Travel will be held 2 weeks ago
--- SBBSecho 3.13-Linux

From: Sonya Weasner (3:770/100)
To: All
Date: Mon, 22.02.21 13:23
re: Perseverance rover to land on Mars tomorrow!
AI> I imagine it does take time for that info to get back here from Mars and
AI> all we have seen so far is the start.
AI>
AI> I still haven't had time to check out these things. Just too many things
AI> ticking away at my time but I'm going to check it all out soonish.

Your timing will be good! Tomorrow there should be video of the rover
landing on the surface of Mars! Just read that a couple of hours ago. I
believe it is at 11AM PST! Smile

Best,

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Sun, 21.02.21 16:46
re: Perseverance rover to land on Mars tomorrow!
Re: re: Perseverance rover to land on Mars tomorrow!
By: Sonya Weasner to Alan Ianson on Mon Feb 22 2021 01:23 pm

SW> Your timing will be good! Tomorrow there should be video of the rover
SW> landing on the surface of Mars! Just read that a couple of hours ago. I
SW> believe it is at 11AM PST! Smile

I'll see what I can find. Is that youtube you saw that on?

Ttyl Smile,
Al

... I couldn't repair the brakes.. So I made your horn louder!
--- SBBSecho 3.13-Linux