Fidonet Portal

From: Tom De Puysseleyr (2:292/8125)
To: All
Date: Sun, 10.02.19 15:32
IRex not using nodelist?
All,

When I write a crashnetmail to someone that's not listed in the node manager,
irex tries to send that netmail using binkp to fxx.nxx.zxx.fidonet.net . Of
course, this does not work. I was hoping that it would read the nodelist to
find out the correct hostname as it is written in the manual. Is there someone
here who has some experience with this?

Tom

--- GoldED+/W32-MSVC 1.1.5-b20170303
* Origin: BrainDeath BBS (2:292/8125)

From: Ben Ritchey (1:393/68)
To: All
Date: Sun, 03.03.19 14:49
Re: IRex not using nodelist?
* An ongoing debate between Tom De Puysseleyr and All rages on ...

TP> There must be people out there using IRex. What do you guys do if you
TP> want to send crash-netmail to someone? Please share your experiences!
TP> Smile

If you use the GoldEd+ Editor, execute the GoldNode compiler on each new
nodelist (nodelist must be defined in Golded.Cfg) as for Windows: "GnWin.Exe -F

GoldEd.Cfg" within your GoldEd+ folder (i.e. c:\ged). Dunno about other
editors, sorry.

.- Keep the faith, --------------------------------------------------.
| |
| Ben aka cMech Web: http|ftp|binkp|telnet|ssh://cmech.dynip.com |
| |
| vvvvvv Email: fido4cmechSPAM(at)lusfiberBLOCK.net |
| { O O } Home page: http://cmech.dynip.com/homepage/ |
| __m___oo___m__ |
`--| | | |-- -------------------------------------------------'

... DRIVEL: The inedible secretions of snails.
--- GoldED+/W32-MSVC v1.1.5-g20180902 +Mystic 1.12 pa43/W32 2019/02/17 17:02:07
* Origin: FIDONet - The Positronium Repository (1:393/68)

From: Ben Ritchey (1:393/68)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.03.19 16:36
Re: IRex not using nodelist?
* An ongoing debate between Tom De Puysseleyr and Kurt Weiske rages on ...

TP> Something like this might work. But I can't find such a setting in the
TP> config. There's "domains", but they all say "fidonet", not fidonet.net

Unless you KNOW you need the Domains, goto iRex Config, Address Manager, Domain

Setup, and delete everything there (might backup your rex folder first!Wink then
try again. I could NOT get iRex to do diddly squat with anything defined for
Domains! lol The author even told me not to use ...

.- Keep the faith, --------------------------------------------------.
| |
| Ben aka cMech Web: http|ftp|binkp|telnet|ssh://cmech.dynip.com |
| |
| vvvvvv Email: fido4cmechSPAM(at)lusfiberBLOCK.net |
| { O O } Home page: http://cmech.dynip.com/homepage/ |
| __m___oo___m__ |
`--| | | |-- -------------------------------------------------'

... My God but we are so beautifully, deeply screwed up.

From: Ben Ritchey (1:393/68)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.03.19 16:41
Re: IRex not using nodelist?
* An ongoing debate between Tom De Puysseleyr and Ben Ritchey rages on ...

TP> That's the one I'm using. And I run that command everytime there's a
TP> new nodelist. But somehow it seems like rex doesn't read those files.
TP> Does this work for you? I also have FrontDoor running (well, running,
TP> it just sits there, doing nothing). So there's also a Frontdoor
TP> nodelist in that folder. Maybe rex chooses the frontdoor-nodelist as
TP> its primary nodelist?

Should not matter, as long as the defined nodelist in Rex is a valid one Smile
When I setup new nodes my Rex uses the nodelist to pre-fill certain entries for

me, otherwise I don't know what it does otherwise {chuckle} as I don't use
anything else that requires it. {shrug}

If you are writing a Netmail to a FIDO address NOT in the Rex config, it may
try to validate this before sending, or not ... but should not need it. If you
want the INA: setting address for that node I would expect Rex to look for a
Rex defined node with that Node addy and grab the IP from there (i.e. BinkP
node).

Rex is not a full-featured, bells & whistles type IP mailer like Mystic is, BUT

what it does do I've found it does do it well!

.- Keep the faith, --------------------------------------------------.
| |
| Ben aka cMech Web: http|ftp|binkp|telnet|ssh://cmech.dynip.com |
| |
| vvvvvv Email: fido4cmechSPAM(at)lusfiberBLOCK.net |
| { O O } Home page: http://cmech.dynip.com/homepage/ |
| __m___oo___m__ |
`--| | | |-- -------------------------------------------------'

... It's not a bug, it's our does-the-user-use-it feature.

From: Ben Ritchey (1:393/68)
To: All
Date: Tue, 05.03.19 12:54
Re: IRex not using nodelist?
* An ongoing debate between Tom De Puysseleyr and Ben Ritchey rages on ...

TP> I was hoping that it would use the nodelist-entry for nodes that are
TP> not defined in the node manager. It says so in the docs...

Did you check Rex config, Files paths and programs, Frontend mailer setup,
Nodelist directory? Contains a valid path? Nodelist present there? Just to make

sure ...

.- Keep the faith, --------------------------------------------------.
| |
| Ben aka cMech Web: http|ftp|binkp|telnet|ssh://cmech.dynip.com |
| |
| vvvvvv Email: fido4cmechSPAM(at)lusfiberBLOCK.net |
| { O O } Home page: http://cmech.dynip.com/homepage/ |
| __m___oo___m__ |
`--| | | |-- -------------------------------------------------'

... I drive fast, drink beer, visit loud nightclubs & eat deep fried food.

From: robert wolfe (1:116/18)
To: All
Date: Tue, 12.03.19 17:28
Re: IRex not using nodelist?
-=> Tom De Puysseleyr wrote to Kurt Weiske <=-

KW> fidonet.net is no longer working, but I think that if you replace
KW> fidonet.net in your config with binkp.net it should resolve.

TDP> Something like this might work. But I can't find such a setting in the
TDP> config. There's "domains", but they all say "fidonet", not fidonet.net

The "domains" setting in this context should not be anything like
"binkp.net" as IIRC, that has nothing to do with Internet connectivity
to other nodes -- just to identify AKAs with networks.

KW> I haven't fired up irex in a while; if it can read a nodelist it
KW> should be able to pull the hostname from the nodelist...
TDP> That's exactly what I thought it should do Smile

I always have my netmail routed through my NC. I think IREX handles
domain names in nodelists IF the application that compiled the nodelist
does not ignore that flag in the nodelist. If it does, then I believe
Internet Rex follows that same logic.

... Teaching: Appearing to have known your subject forever.
___ MultiMail/OS/2 v0.50

--- Mystic BBS/QWK v1.12 A43 2019/02/03 (Windows/32)
* Origin: Omicron Theta * Southaven MS * winserver.org:2300 (1:116/18)

From: robert wolfe (1:116/18)
To: All
Date: Tue, 12.03.19 17:28
Re: IRex not using nodelist?
-=> Tom De Puysseleyr wrote to Ben Ritchey <=-

TDP> That's the one I'm using. And I run that command everytime there's a
TDP> new nodelist. But somehow it seems like rex doesn't read those files.
TDP> Does this work for you? I also have FrontDoor running (well, running,
TDP> it just sits there, doing nothing). So there's also a Frontdoor
TDP> nodelist in that folder. Maybe rex chooses the frontdoor-nodelist as
TDP> its primary nodelist?

Maybe FDNC.EXE ignores the TCP/IP entry in the nodelist, and, as such,
does not compile it in, therefore IREX may not even know it exists.

From: Jason Bock (1:267/310)
To: All
Date: Fri, 20.11.20 15:03
Re: IRex not using nodelist?
> * An ongoing debate between Tom De Puysseleyr and Kurt Weiske rages on ...
>
> TP> Something like this might work. But I can't find such a setting in the
> TP> config. There's "domains", but they all say "fidonet", not fidonet.net
>
> Unless you KNOW you need the Domains, goto iRex Config, Address Manager,
> Domain
>
> Setup, and delete everything there (might backup your rex folder first!Wink
> then try again. I could NOT get iRex to do diddly squat with anything
> defined for Domains! lol The author even told me not to use ...
>

> .- Keep the faith, --------------------------------------------------.
> | |
> | Ben aka cMech Web: http|ftp|binkp|telnet|ssh://cmech.dynip.com |
> | |
> | vvvvvv Email: fido4cmechSPAM(at)lusfiberBLOCK.net |
> | { O O } Home page: http://cmech.dynip.com/homepage/ |
>
> ... My God but we are so beautifully, deeply screwed up.

I am able to receive mail but not send packets. I know I used to have it work,
could domains be causing the issue?
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
* Origin: SiliconUnderground - Rochester, NY - siliconu.com (1:267/310)