Fidonet Portal

From: August Abolins (2:221/1.58)
To: All
Date: Mon, 05.04.21 07:47
shorthand mnemonics like IDK
Hello mark!

** On Monday 05.04.21 - 06:07, you wrote:

AA>> "idk" - I had to look that one up! Very Happy

ml> hehehe, i've been spending a lot of time with gamers and
ml> streamers... i'm tending to use more and more of their
ml> shorthand mnemonics like IDK, WDYM, ISWYD, and similar O:)

Those are new to me too. So.. is there a new generation of
these things now?
--
../|ug

--- OpenXP 5.0.49
* Origin: The ONLY point that matters! --> . <-- (2:221/1.58)

From: Jay Harris (1:229/664)
To: All
Date: Mon, 05.04.21 17:40
Re: shorthand mnemonics like IDK
*** Quoting mark lewis from a message to August Abolins ***

AA> Those are new to me too. So.. is there a new generation of these
AA> things now?

ml> mainly new common phrases for the most part... there are moar but i
ml> think urban dictionary and similar cover them better than i/we could
ml> here ;)

One that I learned not too long ago texting with my nephew was:

IKR which means "I Know Right?!"

Jay

... Death is mother nature's warning to slow down.

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4/mL
* Origin: Northern Realms | 289-424-5180 | bbs.nrbbs.net (1:229/664)

From: Jay Harris (1:229/664)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 12:16
Re: shorthand mnemonics like IDK
*** Quoting Alan Ianson from a message to mark lewis ***

AA>> I wrote a reply to this in CHAT.

ML> no clue what fido echo that is...

AI> That's a long time fido echo although I don't know who the moderator
AI> is or if there is one and the area is not on the backbone.

AI> You can connect here if you like.. Smile

I'm connected to this echo via Nick but the last message I see in there is
Nov 2020.

Jay

... What did the sushi say to the bee? Wasabee!

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 09:40
Re: shorthand mnemonics like IDK
Re: Re: shorthand mnemonics like IDK
By: Jay Harris to Alan Ianson on Tue Apr 06 2021 12:16 pm

JH> I'm connected to this echo via Nick but the last message I see in there is
JH> Nov 2020.

Something is broken there somewhere. There has been a few messages taday and
yesterday as well as ...

Ttyl Smile,
Al

... If life is a stage I want better lighting
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux

From: Jay Harris (1:229/664)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 16:59
Re: shorthand mnemonics like IDK
*** Quoting Alan Ianson from a message to mark lewis ***

AI> ... I have a dream... C:\ 999,999,999,999 Megs free!

That works out to...

999999TB (Terabytes)

-Or-

999PB (Petabytes)

-Or-

0.999EB (Exabytes)

So we still have to keep dreaming! LOL

Jay

... I call things as I see them; If I didn't see them, I make them up!

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 15:06
Re: shorthand mnemonics like IDK
Re: Re: shorthand mnemonics like IDK
By: Jay Harris to Alan Ianson on Tue Apr 06 2021 04:59 pm

AI>> ... I have a dream... C:\ 999,999,999,999 Megs free!

JH> That works out to...

JH> 999999TB (Terabytes)

JH> -Or-

JH> 999PB (Petabytes)

JH> -Or-

JH> 0.999EB (Exabytes)

JH> So we still have to keep dreaming! LOL

Yep, that was my dream in the 90's and today.. it's still a dream!

Ttyl Smile,
Al

... Circular Definition: see Definition, Circular
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux

From: Jay Harris (1:229/664)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 21:45
Re: shorthand mnemonics like IDK
*** Quoting Alan Ianson from a message to Jay Harris ***

AI> ... I have a dream... C:\ 999,999,999,999 Megs free!

JH> That works out to...
JH> 0.999EB (Exabytes)

JH> So we still have to keep dreaming! LOL

AI> Yep, that was my dream in the 90's and today.. it's still a dream!

I have a 20TB NAS downstairs with 6.8TB free, I'm not sure what I'd do with
a petabyte let alone an exabyte.

Jay

... The older you get, the more important is is not to act your age.

From: Jay Harris (1:229/664)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 21:46
Re: shorthand mnemonics like IDK
*** Quoting August Abolins from a message to Alan Ianson ***

AI> How do we add areas to the backbone today?

AA> Let me know if you find out anything.

Yeah, ditto. When I (re)-added TG_SUPPORT to the ELIST it wasn't showing up
on Agency, then it did, now it isn't again.

Jay

... Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot

From: Jay Harris (1:229/664)
To: All
Date: Wed, 07.04.21 12:31
Re: shorthand mnemonics like IDK
*** Quoting August Abolins from a message to Jay Harris ***

JH> I have a 20TB NAS downstairs with 6.8TB free, I'm not sure what I'd
JH> do with a petabyte let alone an exabyte.

AA> Wow. Hard to let go of stuff even when it's digital, eh?

A lot of is is ripped DVDs. Several years ago I just HAD to have every TV
show I watch on DVD, which was awesome at the time, but then became a pain
when you'd be done a disc and *gasp* now you have to get up and change a
disc.

Now they're all ripped and sitting there on the NAS so I can watch from the
the Apple TV in the living room or on my laptop in my office when I'm working
from home. I have everything from all seasons of Friends, Will & Grace, Star
Trek: TNG, Voyager & Enterprise (just to name a few) on there to any movie
I've ever bought ripped.

The next biggest amount of storage is laptop & PC backups. They automaticly
backup there over the network and keep a few versions in case you want to
roll back to a certain point in time. My Telegard backup is only 240MB so I
keep a month at a time whereas my laptop backup is just under 100GB.

Jay

... Alas! The poor Tagline. I knew it well.

From: Jay Harris (1:229/664)
To: All
Date: Wed, 07.04.21 19:40
Re: shorthand mnemonics like IDK
*** Quoting August Abolins from a message to Jay Harris ***

AA> I am working on a reply. Will post it to CHAT echo.

I don't get any new messages in there, last messages was in Nov 2020.

Jay

... Everyone has his day, and some days last longer than others.

From: Jay Harris (1:229/664)
To: All
Date: Wed, 07.04.21 19:50
Re: shorthand mnemonics like IDK
*** Quoting August Abolins from a message to Jay Harris ***

JH> I'm connected to this echo via Nick but the last message I see in there
JH> is Nov 2020.

AA> Something broke. Here are just a few back to the beginning of
AA> March:

AA> 06.04 August Abolins All Case against another
AA> US intelligence offi 05.04 August Abolins mark lewis
AA> -shorthand mnemonics like IDK 05.04 August Abolins Wilfred van

Could you post some of the kludge lines for these messages?

I'd be interested in knowing there the break in the link is betwen point A
and 1:229/426 where I get my messages from.

Jay

... First secure an independent income, then practice virtue.

From: Jay Harris (1:229/664)
To: All
Date: Wed, 07.04.21 21:20
Re: shorthand mnemonics like IDK
*** Quoting August Abolins from a message to Jay Harris ***

AA> Yes.. I read that you mentioned that before. Hopefully your feed
AA> will re-supply it and then you can %rescan.

1:229/426 doesn't support %RESCAN either... Sad

Jay

... I may not be totally perfect, but parts of me are excellent.